Home sweet home is my turf where I want to be the Ultimate S.A.H.M.
I’m very happy about being a stay at home mom, but I wasn’t always confident or secure with that identity. Now, after being home with 9 children, I can look back and see the benefits. I’ve had children that were at almost all the phases of life at the same time. We’ve had newborn babies, toddlers, middle school, high school, college, married children and grandbabies, all at the same time.
I sure don’t remember any classes in school on how to be the ultimate SAHM. Back in the day, this is how we were influenced to see things, mostly by TV. I hope our views have improved about the way we Moms live our lives now. It seemed like there were 3 kinds of women.
a) Women who appeared to be massively successful at raising their children and working a fabulous career at the same time. 10 out of 10 points to them! Oh my goodness, to be that amazing.
b) Women who were SAHM’s and stayed at home with their children and didn’t work a job at all. 1 out of 10 points to them. Yeah, we don’t get a lot of respect, right?
c) Then there were the women who worked long, hard hours at their jobs, for low pay. They had to juggle the kids, daycare, and keep their house civilized as well. 5 out of 10 points to them and a lot of sympathy because that’s a really rough road. Hang in there, girl, you’re doing your best.
The Bible talks about a woman who is the Ultimate S.A.H.M.
She is Amazing. Just read this:
- The heart of her husband trusts in her. (He respects her judgment and abilities and no wonder, because her desire is to do her best for him. You’re rockin’ it, girl!)
- She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. (Good job, woman! You’re willing to get down to it and do the work it takes)
- She brings excellent food to her family (You’re not born with cooking abilities. She tries hard to learn the skills to find and prepare food that brings health, nutrition and pleasure to her family)
- She rises while it is still nighttime and provides food for her household and her servants (My first thought…she has servants! Yes!)
- She considers a field and buys it, then plants a vineyard with her own hands (She’s not a sitting around the house watching Netflix all day. She’s out there working the finances, the Real Estate and doing actual labor as well)
- She is strong, (Physically strong, because she actually works with her hands and mentally tough because she’s figured out how to succeed in the work world)
- She knows her merchandise is profitable and she works at her business into the night (Skilled and knowledgeable and is willing to work long hours)
- She uses her own hands (to the distaff and her hands hold the spindle and makes handcrafted goods)
Not a bad a list, I’d say, but there’s more.
A Proverbs 31 woman is the Ultimate S.A.H.M.
- She shares with the poor and actually helps the needy, personally (Kind and loving and she’s earned enough to share with the less fortunate. Only the wealthy can financially help others significantly, don’t knock it.)
- She’s not worried about snow because her household is very well clothed. She makes her own quality bedding and clothes herself beautifully. (This girls understands that quality is important and she looks her best and makes sure her family looks good too)
- She makes bed coverings for herself and her clothing is fine linen. (All I know is that handcrafted bed coverings would beat the thin, ##-Mart bedspread I’ve got)
- Her husband is known in the gates, respected, when he sits among the elders of the land (Maybe it’s true that behind every good man is a good woman)
- She makes linen garments and sells them and delivers things she makes to merchants (another business venture! First Real Estate, then a vineyard, and now handcrafted clothes)
- She is strong and dignified, (It’s obvious the way she’s dressed, and by her appearance that she’s strong and dignified. I suspect that whatever she wears, she’d look fabulous, because she has strength of character that comes across the way she carries herself
- She opens her mouth with wisdom, teaches kindness (Willing to share her knowledge to help others)
- She looks well to the ways of her household and isn’t idle (She isn’t lazy and her first priority is her own family, beautiful)
- Her children call her blessed. Her husband praises her. Her works praise her in the gates. (Great reputation, from her family to her community)
- She knows that charm is deceitful and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. (This girl has rocked it beyond any other woman. She deserves whatever praise she gets)
Well, Girls, this is the goal.
If you are a stay at home mom wanting to be the ultimate S.A.H.M.; work hard, do your best and have your family love and appreciate you when it’s all said and done? Read Proverbs 31 for yourself. You’ll be inspired. I’m inspired to achieve more because when I dig deep, I know I can do better.
So, I used to be a stay at home mom and I did not get offended when people asked me if I worked, because I knew what they meant. But now I can say that I’m a Work At Home Mom. How does that sound? Are we on the same team?
Working from home is getting to be more and more popular. So, we are now hip! BTW, the new handle on the street is W.A.H.M., because that’s who we are, girls!